- Invite parents with special talents to speak to your class.
- Call parents for every child in your class at least once a year to compliment and report on the student's growth.
- Send notes home once a month with a positive comment about each student.
- Arrange to have artwork and other presentation mediums displayed in local businesses and community buildings.
- Reverse roles with students and let them teach.
- Prepare a slide show or Powerpoint to show at a PTA meeting or post on your website.
- Create weekly newsletters.
- Different grade levels can work with each other and offer buddy reading programs.
- Coffee with the principal, bi-annually, held in the cafeteria (Holliday, 1997).
Things to Do Now
According to Holliday (1997), there are a substantial amount of ways we can improve school-community relations now.